Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Carseats Galore and Extended Rear Facing!

So as Finn is approaching the 20 lb mark and the top of his carseat, I have been slowly researching his next seat. I assummed that at 20 lbs/year old more likely I would just turn him forward facing but after much research I have decided to what is called the the carseat world "extended rear face" Finn. Basicly it means I am buying a car seat with one of the highest weight limits for ERFing and plan to keep it rear faced until he hits that limit. Studies show and common sense that rear facing is the safest way (5x safer in fact!) for children to ride.

Here is info on Extended Rear Facing: http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

Rearfacing vs Forward Facing YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8

Again another thing I had to research or I would have never have known! Luckily I stumbled across it! So scary as riding in the car is the most common cause of death among children.

My problem is the highest rated careat with the biggest weight limit the Radian 90 XTSL wont fit in my Honda Fit! ugh! which is annoying because this seat was also good for long torsoed kids.

I ended up considering the Comfort air and the New Britax Marathon 70. I chose the Britax 70. It has a 40# weight limit RFing and 70# FFing. It is smaller and more compact than the radian and will fit better in my car. The Britax 70 is Brand new and redesigned and I had to preorder it. What I really liked was it had a steel frame and the cover can be removed and washed! Seemed worth a bit more money for a washable seat with a bit better quality construction.
I got mine for 20% off and free shipping from babycatalog.com! I got the blue one not the pink in the ad!

No comments:

Post a Comment