Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Choosing a bottle!

    There certainly is a ton of bottles out there. I have a distinct memory of standing in the aisle of our local Walmart trying to choose a kind of bottle after our doctor told us to start supplementing breast milk with formula. In my postpartum haze choosing a bottle was very overwhelming! So many of them advertised things like "vented", "anti-colic" etc! I wanted that! Who wouldn't? The other problem was cost! Most were nearly $10 a bottle! This wasn't a decision to be made lightly!
    I ended up choosing Dr. Browns and Avent on that trip. We still have and use those bottles today! I love the Dr. Browns. They have a great venting system that prevents the baby from gulping too much air. The major disadvantage with these is they have 4 pieces to assemble before you can feed your baby! Way too time consuming if your baby will take a different bottle!
     I also like the Avent. They are vented and have only 2 pieces the nipple and the ring. The disadvantage to these is you have to make sure you match up the little lines on the nipple with the vents in the collar or they leak terribly! Sometimes they leak anyway, but less as they are used more and get worn in it seems. The other disadvantage is they don't travel well.
    I also have many Medela bottles. Which I love!These are not vented but once your baby is older and their acid is well controlled they should have no problem with these. What I like about them is that they are simple, nipple  and collar. No extra pieces or matching up vents! They never leak and travel soooo well! They have little caps that screw on the top and never leak when you are traveling. I always take these when I leave the house.
     We have tried other bottles but none really seemed that great. We have this mix of 3 types. My only dilemma is what to buy as we move up to the 8 oz bottles! Any suggestions??

No comments:

Post a Comment