Monday, May 3, 2010

Sleeping!





This is by far the most important topic for parents with children with acid reflux. I will be posting more on this in the future but because I know it is so important I thought I should start right away!

Before Finn was medicated would only sleep in an upright position usually against one of us or in a baby carrier (more on baby wearing later!). We then thought of putting him in the car seat since he seemed to be fine (and sleeping) when we went somewhere! The car seat although was weird and I didn't really like it worked great!!!

After the first heatwave though, I pulled him out of the car seat and he was really sweaty! I had forgotten how hot kids can get in their car seats! With summer coming soon I knew this was going to be a problem! Plus I really did not like him laying on the buckles. We didn't want to wake him up, which usually resulted in us laying him down in the seat on the buckles.

I started searching around the web for something to help him sleep. I found a couple of things. One of which was called the Nap Nanny. It is essentially a piece of foam molded into an angle like a car seat. It has a soft harness that straps the baby in. I got one and we are loving it! It is more open than the car seat, softer, and just looks more comfortable. We put it right in the crib (not recommended by the manufacturer). Our mattress is on a bit of an angle for an extra bit of an incline. We simply put the metal parts on one end down one setting. The Nap Nanny is only a 30 degree angle and I felt Finn needed more than that.

I am really liking the fact that he has a comfortable place to sleep now. The Nap Nanny really has helped him reflux less at night and as of last week he has been sleeping through the night!!!!!!! Disadvantage of the Nap Nanny is that once he starts moving around, you are not supposed to use it:(

They are expensive though about $129.99 and are sold on Amazon, Ebay, Buy Buy Baby etc.
I got mine at Buy Buy Baby with a 20% off coupon from Babies R Us! Buy Buy Baby also takes those Bed Bath and Beyond coupons that come in the mail! Click here for a list of brick and mortar stores that sell it!

Other things to try are the Tucker Sling! Which I hope to post about soon! I think it is better for older babies. Check it out at http://www.tuckersling.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment